This is something I discovered while fixing a problem I encountered in this post:
I initially had one excel file with a data type (i.e "ship size") in the column header and the default values listed in rows. I realized, however, that the Excel import model was not picking up every cell for a given column header:
THe excel importing model was only picking up from the row with "Move 3" in it and below for the column labeled "tech name" and all columns to the right of it. There was other data even further to the right in which no cells were retrieved by the import model since they did not go below the lowest row of "tech name" which I guess is how the Excel model decides if it needs to pick up a data point.
So to circumvent this I just made 4 separate excel files for each 'collection' of data. That way no cells would be missed since all rows would then be imported correctly. I actually had it set up this way initially a few months back, but changed it to the above 'all in one' excel file because I figured it would be easier on server load.
After reverting to having 4 separate excel files from which the service would read, my app no longer initializes at all. I've since refreshed/deleted my databases as I usually do now whenever a database change is made but the excel import service hangs and then fails. I've attached my tersus app file as a reference, the models in question are in:
Desktop View \ <Init> \ Excel Service \ Load from Excel
The pertinent XLS files should be included along with the current database.
Thanks for your help. All I'm trying to do here is initialize a bunch of database values so that they can be called upon by the app later without my having to go in an use a number of constants. The excel file technique makes is easy to make changes to my default values if I need to as well.
For best results, use the Firefox browser..